Registering / Voting / Absentee Ballots
You can download a paper voter registration application from the Virginia SBE by clicking here. Voter registration forms are also available at many government offices, DMV, libraries, and post offices.
Voting Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to vote in Virginia, you must meet these requirements:
- Be a resident of Virginia (A person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be a U. S. Citizen
- Be 18 years old (Any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
(Source: Virginia State Board of Elections)
- Polling Place Locator – Lookup your polling place.
- 5 Year Schedule of Upcoming Virginia Elections (Source: Virginia SBE)
- Virginia Election Law(Title 24.2, Code of Virginia)